20080715

DAY 44 0F 54: JULY 14 : REST DAY: ERIE PA

Providence [2] Each morning (8.30 till 11.00) the pupils in Providence follow a course in one of the vocational skills offered such as tailoring, rexine work, commercial cooking, confectionary, beauty care, paper making, screen printing, bead work, carpentry etc etc. These are presented not merely as hobbies but a possible avenue to apprenticeships or enterprises. In the afternoon (11.00 till 3.300 they follow regular classes in academic subjects such as English,Maths, Business, Science, Social Studies, Khasi etc and some of the sit for the State exams.

Today was a welcome rest day with no pressure but for me it was all cycle related at leisure. Some of the group actually went for a 30-mile cycle around the city’s attractions. At 6 am I was awake and ready to get started out of habit. The longer I stayed in bed after that the more tired I got, so I made breakfast by 9.

The hotel has no guest laundry so it was off down 5 blocks with the lot and all was sparkling again within the hour. I’m improving in these household chores…never too late to learn. The laundrette was beside Molly Brannigan’s irish pub and I went down there last night for the one drink I treat myself to on Rest Day. The owner is a Waterford man and the walls were decorated by the feats of recent years and of 1959, Ballygunner’s Munster title as well as Master McGrath and old local papers. Wasn’t I proud to see the victorious Wexford team of 1996 on the wall in full colour? A publican with good taste!
The bike, RW PACAT, badly needed a wash after the last few days and I replaced the chain. The old one was showing a bit of wear and would cause a more serious problem for the crankset and the cassette if left much longer. Am very pleased with this bike and hopefully there’ll be no problems between here and the end. End? I don’t like even contemplating the idea. I’ll miss the cycle and the group. There is an amazing positive dynamic among the 40 of us. One for all and all for one.
In the afternoon I spent a long time deciding on and drawing up a cue-sheet for the two days from Portsmouth to Providence. Got it finished a while ago with the aid of cycle maps of east Massachusetts and the Boston area.
And I have just been speaking with Ted in Providence who will be overseeing those last days. Really looking forward to meeting up and having a good chat about Providence.
Now for a good night’s sleep before the last stage –the Eastern States.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Margaret is thrilled that when you return from the cycle you will take up full-time residence in the kitchen; there you can perform ALL the household chores -expertly!
Bi curamach ar an mbothair abhaile. Micheal.